What business learning can we acknowledge while competing in the annual international Snow Sculpting completion, Shapes in White in Ischgl . This year’s theme was the Circus and the UK entry was the Ring Master. But what lessons did we learn that we could use in everyday business.
- Communication – always come top in any list of business failings. Being able to communicate is a two way process. Making sure you are understood and that you fully understand what you are being told.
- Collaboration – this is not just within your own team but with all members of the group. While this may be a competition supporting, congratulation and assisting where needed will help foster good relationships and make for a great outcome.
- Preparation – understanding the task to be completed and conducting the correct preparation is essential. Everything from: assembling the team; preparing the design; planning the itinerary; listing out the correct equipment and sourcing them; are play an important part.
- Roles and Responsibilities – know your role in the team and play your part to the best of your ability. Take direction from the leader but don’t be afraid to speak out if you see a problem or have a different approach.
- Planning – as with all things “if you fail to plan you plan to fail”. Ensuring each member of the team knows what they are doing and when along with understanding what the outcome needs to be is essential. Whether this is logistics (flights, hotels, meals, etc.), procurement (equipment, tickets, etc.), Design (drawings, sketches, models, etc.) or implementation (shovelling, carving, scraping, sanding, etc.).
- Delegation – you are not always the best equipped or skilled to complete a tasks, nor should you try and complete it all on your own. Where possible employee others to assist, such as moving tonnes of snow.
- Focus – without focus and determination to complete on-time and to a high standard, the event would not be the success it is drawing crowds from across the globe and fantastic professional sculptors to compete.
- Mindfulness – be there in the moment. Enjoy each triumph no matter how small. It is hard not to concentrate solely on the task as hand when you have snow whipping around you at 21Kmph and the cold biting at a -13oC. When you are working work, when you are resting rest, when you are socialising socialise.